You are not dreaming, FoodEtcaetera is back after well-deserved vacation (huh). Summer was hot and kind of productive, which was exactly what I needed to get back on my A game and get ready for you, with a lot of posts on the way and a few new ideas. (Also, I don’t mean to brag here, but as you are reading me, I am on a plane to Puerto Rico for a long get away week end. I know. Don’t hate me.)
So, this is the simplest recipe – like, ever! – from which you already got a sneak peek on Insta: a sablé Breton (a typical, delicious French soft cookie) + red fruits (or any kind of fruits you like, really) + flavored whipped cream. This is a mint version, but everything is possible and you’ll find fruit-spices pairing ideas at the end of this post.
This sablé Breton is my go-to recipe when I need to use egg yolks. You can find another one here using the same base – as easy, as delicious. What else could we possibly ask for? The recipe? Well, that makes sense!
Time for prep : 1 hour | Difficulty : easy| Utensils : basics
Lime sablé Breton
4 egg yolks – 1/2 cup sugar – 1/2 cup butter at room temperature– 1 cup flour – 1 pinch of salt – 1 g baking powder – zest of 2 limes
- Preheat the oven (190 Celsius – 375 Fahrenheits)
- In a medium bowl, stir egg yolks + powdered sugar until fluffy (using an electrical mixer or your Kitchenaid)
- Add zest of 2 lime
- Sift the flour, the salt and the baking powder to the egg/sugar mix
- Add the soft butter
- Use a hand spatula (or stand mixer’ beater blade) to stir well
- Cook 18 to 20 minutes.
- Let cool
Flavored whipped cream
1 cup heavy whipping cream – 1/3 cup icing sugar (optional)
I am not going to explain how to make whipped cream (besides that you should always use extra cold utensils + cream and that you can also whip it on top of a bowl filled with ice chips). But you’ll find below a list of fruits / spices pairing.
- Orange blossom: acidic red fruits, apples
- Lavender: apricot, sweet apples, peach
- Vanilla: apple, pear, red fruits
- Cloves: pineapple, rhubarb, peach
- Black pepper/ Sichuan: strawberries, red fruits, quince
- Mint: red fruit, cantaloupe
- Ginger: pineapple, lemon, strawberries, apples, oranges
- Rosemary: apricot, fig, apples
- Cardamom: pear, bananas, quince
- Verbena: citrus fruits, cherries
- Cinnamon: apples, apricots, mango
- Thyme: apricot
- Basil: strawberries, raspberries, apricot, pineapple
- Turmeric: pineapple
Brew fresh or dried herb in half of the cream, hot (but not boiling), let cool, strain, and finally pour in the other half. Put in the freezer for 10 minutes then whip.
Same for pepper and ginger but don’t let brew too long!
Vanilla, powdered spices and liquid flavors to be added to the cream.
- Make sure the sablé Breton is chilled when starting.
- Cut its edges to make it a perfect rectangle.
- Pipe or pour the whipped cream on top, then add the washed and cut fruits.
- Zest a lime or a lemon on top
- Time to taste! Bon appétit!
And so, how was Summer for you guys?