A few weeks ago, I whined about the Swiss food I am missing since I moved to New York. Indeed, I would love a good plate of meringue with double whipped cream, but I am not dying of starvation.
And moving here not only open my mind, but also offered me the opportunity to discover some great food items. Such as:
- A big New York bagel, which is my go-to since I don’t have access to good bread anymore. In sandwiches, just toasted or served with cream cheese, nothing tastes like bagels. Apparently, the special taste comes from New York water.
My favorite: from Ess A Bagel and Black Seeds.
- And as we were talking about it, the BLT (sandwich bacon – lettuce – tomato and spicy mayo) is one of my fav. Especially served in a bagel.
My favorite: from Black Seeds Bagel (pricey but sooo good) (- website -)
- Sour Patch candy. Sour (obviously) and especially bad for my delicate stomach, these are my favorite!
- Covered in chocolate gummy bears. Only Americans could invent such a thing (and I will be forever thankful about it!)
- Actually, any dry fruit covered in dark chocolate stole my heart since day 1.
My fav: cranberries and cherries from Trader Joe’s.
- A real New York Cheesecake.
My fav: the only from Eileen’s (- website -)
- A huge and decadent chocolate and peanut butter cookie.
My fav: from Levain Bakery (- website -)
- Broccoli pizzas. Someone complained to me once that American don’t eat any other veggie that broccoli. Which is actually pretty true. However, on a pizza with some ricotta and truffle oil, it’s to die for.
- Fish Tacos, with some red cabbage, guac and a lot of spicy mayo. This brings me straight to heaven. (Also, I am completely aware tacos are not American at all, but I still love it there.)
My fav: from La Esquina (- website -)
My fav: the one my friend Brian makes (sorry guys, I am still looking for a restaurants that would serve something as good!)
- Frozen yoghurt
My fav: from Off the Wall and 16Handles.
- Onions rings
My fav: from Bare Burger (here) (- website -)
- Peanut butter and chocolate (here, for instance). OR. Peanut butter core ice cream from Ben and Jerry.
- Sofritas bowl or burritos from Chipotle.
What about you, what are your favorite American food items?